- This event has passed.
Real Bread Week
February 24 - March 4
Real Bread Week is the annual, international celebration of supporting your local, independent Real Bread bakery and baking your own.
In its 10th anniversary year, #RealBreadWeek runs from 24 February to 4 March 2018
Find details of local Real Bread activities (and add details of your own) on the Real Bread Week events calendar
What is Real Bread Week?
Launched by the Real Bread Campaign in 2009*, this is the annual, international celebration of Real Bread and people who make it. Its three aims are to encourage and help people to:
- Buy Real Bread from local, independent bakeries
- Bake their own Real Bread at home
- Join the Real Bread Campaign
Each year, bakeries and baking schools in the Real Bread Campaign supporter network around the world organise hold classes, feasts and other events and activities.
Bigging up little bakeries
It’s time to kick the additive-laden industrial loaf habit and support YOUR local Real Bread baker!
Small, independent, locally-owned bakeries help to:
- support more jobs per loaf for people in your local community – skilled jobs at that
- keep more money circulating in your local economy, helping to keep your high street alive
They may also offer social benefits, from being a place where older people at risk of isolation can see a friendly face and stop for a chat, to those that are set up to offer training and employment opportunities for people facing one of a range of challenges.
Don’t be fooled by so-called ‘artisan’ loaves turning up on supermarket shelves: insist on the real deal.
- Look for The Real Bread Loaf Mark
- Discover a local Real Bread bakery
- Why support a local Real Bread bakery
The Real Bread Campaign is part of the charity Sustain: the alliance for better food and farming