- This event has passed.
Roots to Work Conference: Find your place in the field of good food
October 18, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm£21.79 – £53.59
This is for people working or looking to find work in the good food sector, this day of speakers, workshops and events will inspire and support you on your journey.
This will be the fourth year that Capital Growth have run their sell out Roots to Work conference, bringing together those already working and those looking to develop careers or enterprises in the food growing sector. Building on this success, we launched a successful job search site to showcase the range of good food jobs in one handy place https://www.rootstowork.org/.
This year, thanks to the partnership with the Gaia Foundation and the We Feed the World exhibition, we are able to widen our focus to all those working or interested in finding their place in the field of good food. This means additional speakers and workshops on setting up good food enterprises, as well our popular sessions focused on launching and developing food growing enterprises. We will also have a chance to discuss how we support and grow the movement and enjoy the photography exhibition in the venue.
Opening Plenary 11:20 – 12:15
Speakers followed by panel Q&A
- Chair Sarah Williams (Sustain)
- Claire Pritchard (Chair, London Food Board) – Why good food enterprises are important for London
- Kerry Rankine (Growing Communities) – Routes to market: the importance of alternative retail
- Speaker TBC – Making a living from the land
- Ren Piercey (The Castle Garden, Feedback) – A growing apprentice’s perspective
- Maddie Guerlain (Sustain) – Creating a good food movement
Morning Workshops 12:15 – 1:30 (choose one)
- Starting a growing enterprise with trade at the forefront Q&A
- How to get started in good food: traineeships, accreditation and volunteering
- The how’s and whys of starting an ethical food business
- Governance and set up models for good food enterprise
Lunch 1:30 – 2:30
- Vegetarian lunch served (bring your own reusable mug/cup for hot/cold drinks)
- Growing enterprise competition
- Meet other growers
Zooming in on the Future 1:30 – 3:45
- Book a 15 minute 1:1 for advice on getting your career started from Amber Alferoff (Federation of City Farms and Community Gardens)
Afternoon Workshops 2:30 – 3:45 (choose one)
- How do we build the good food movement in London?
- Working with schools and young people
- Scaling up and diversifying income streams
- Freelancing in the good food sector Intros and Q&A panel
Wrap-up & Feedback 3:45 – 4:00
Networking & view exhibition 4-5pm
Note: there will be hot water facilities, tea and coffee, but please bring you own reusable cup/mug for hot/cold drinks – only very limited biodegradable cups will be provided.
Capital Growth is London’s largest food growing network, with over 2,000 gardens throughout the city. We offer in-kind support to people who grow their own food in London, including providing access to discounted training, networking events, support with growing to sell and discounts on equipment. Joining our network is free.