- This event has passed.
Sourdough Weekend Course
June 16, 2018 @ 9:30 am - June 17, 2018 @ 6:00 pm
For any level.
The Sourdough School
Making sourdough bread weekend – learn to make sourdough
Fully Booked – please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for future dates…
June is such a beautiful month and this is the perfect way to spend a summer weekend – dedicated to baking sourdough. Retarded sourdough is, by nature challenging. Retarded method is a longer slower fermentation process that requires overnight refrigeration and the bread develops a fuller flavour. It is however more delicious and more complex and more rewarding than any other bread. The longer slower fermentation also makes it more digestible, and more nourishing.
We will cover every aspect of baking with sourdough. There is time to watch, enjoy and discuss long slow fermented doughs from start to finish.
We will cover all aspects of making a retarded sourdough bread including:
- Open crumb – learn how to get a beautiful open crumb sourdough loaf.
- How to refresh a 100% hydrated starter
- Starter maintenance
- Discover the versatility and purpose of different leavens
- Understanding each step of sourdough
- Finding a rhythm – plan your baking schedule of when you get home
- Flavour – Demystifying how to control the sourness of your sourdough
- We mill some fresh flour
- Learn about mixing and kneading techniques
- Looking at the role of salt and how this affects the rise
- Understanding how water and various hydration levels affect your bread
- We will look at the role flour and how the choice of flour changes the variables
- Make sure that you really understand the point at which the bread is proved
- There is a combination of both hands on baking and some demonstrations so you will be involved in every aspect of mixing, shaping and proving sourdough, through to the bake and we will be looking at the details that really make the difference.
- Discover why sourdough is particularly nutritious and digestible
We will be making:
- Overnight Classic retarded Loaf
- Rye sourdough
- Cultured butter
- Sourdough pizza – which we will eat for lunch
- Sourdough Focaccia
Over the two days we’ll enjoy a lively discussion about sourdough and look at every aspect of sourdough baking in detail. We will explore why the type of flour you use makes a difference to your loaf and how to modify recipes and use up your left over starter in some delicious ways. The aim is to send you home feeling confident with all the knowledge to really improve your own home made artisan loaves yourself. We’ll also have a delicious lunches with home made butter, local cheese, and fresh garden produce served with a glass of local Fleurfields award winning wine is included.
What makes Vanessa’s courses really special?
Most baking courses that you go on finish when you leave, but with Vanessa’s courses your day learning to bake using sourdough is just the beginning, because students automatically become members of The Sourdough Club. It’s a fantastic way to keep you inspired with a monthly sourdough challenge, exclusive recipes, tips, techniques, articles and an interactive Facebook page so students are supported with learning resources, become part of a community and keep baking.