The Sourdough Bread Clinic
November 17 @ 8:00 am - 6:00 pm£245
Intermediate & Advanced
The Sourdough School
Making sourdough bread: Beyond the basics.
There is nothing more frustrating than not quite getting it quite right and If you have had a go at baking sourdough and had some success and yet things still aren’t quite as great as they could be then you will want to know where you are going wrong and what you can improve.
In this workshop you will learn that you can really step up your game in baking if you understand what is going on at each stage. We’ll enjoy a lively discussion about sourdough and look at every aspect of sourdough baking in detail. In this one-day class you will learn how you can make sourdough using a lower gluten flour. We will explore why the type of flour you use makes a difference to your loaf and how to modify recipes and use up your left over starter in some delicious ways. The aim is to send you home feeling confident with all the knowledge to really improve your own home made artisan loaves yourself. A delicious lunch with a glass of local Fleurfields award winning wine is included.
- Examine the refreshment of the sourdough starter in detail
- Look at how refreshment process and flour choice affects flavour
- Examine each person’s sourdough and see what could be improved
- Look at kneading techniques
- Look at the role of salt and how this affects the rise
- Discuss how various hydration levels affect your bread
- Look at the role flour has on the finished bread in detail
- Understand the point at which the bread is proved
- Undertand the way shaping affects the final outcome
There is hands on baking – we will follow a straight dough / ambient process and some demonstrations so you will be able to see every aspect of mixing, shaping and proving sourdough, through to the bake.
You will also be given some of my lovely French sourdough starter to take home (if you want some) in a beautiful ceramic pot.