The Fold is a not for profit community interest company set up to benefit the community and improve the health and wellbeing of individuals, the community and the planet, to support the local economy and to promote environmentally sustainable practices.
Healthy soil, healthy food, healthy people
The Fold CIC in Worcestershire is seeking an enthusiastic and entrepreneurial grower to manage and develop our organic, 2-acre, minimal tillage market garden. This is an exciting opportunity for someone passionate about local and organic food systems, with lots of potential to expand or transition into a CSA.
The farm is Soil Association certified, and currently produces vegetables, herbs, fruit and eggs for The Fold Cafe and Farm Shop, a small box scheme and some wholesale customers. In previous seasons the farm team has included a second grower, volunteers and trainees and has incorporated a small care farm. We are keen that the farm maintains a social and educational dimension.
Excellent accommodation with full board is available on the farm and living on site is encouraged, but not mandatory. Salary or stipend will be dependent on experience and living arrangements.
Full time, permanent, including weekend duties on a rota; variable through the year.
Main functions of the job
To lead production and sales from the Fold Farm, growing quality vegetables to organic standards, maintain flock of laying hens and administrate the business. Managing the farm team and facilitating the Care Farm and its activities on the land.
Principle duties and responsibilities
- managing and participating in all aspects of production, from propagation through to harvest
- monitoring irrigation, ventilation, pest and disease management and composting
- planning cropping and rotations
- planning and implementing development of the site
- distributing produce (harvest, packing, delivery, invoicing)
- managing laying hens
- maintaining growing spaces, equipment, fencing and access
- administrating the business (emails/phones etc.)
- recording crop sales and yields
- invoicing sales, preparing monthly receipts/invoices for accountant, managing petty cash, writing annual budget
- ordering, including consumables
- expanding existing markets
- updating website
- attending relevant meetings (weekly internal meeting)
- writing/updating health and safety information e.g. risk assessments
- preparing for and passing Soil Association inspection
- meeting requirements for egg legislation and flock welfare
- liaising with and supporting care farm manager and participants
- providing leadership, management, and instruction to assistant grower and trainee on a daily basis
- supporting trainee with tutorial sessions
- undertaking staff appraisals and if necessary disciplinary action
- hosting and supporting weekly volunteers, students and WWOOFers
Key result areas
The productivity and profitability of the Fold Farm
Areas falling under Farm Manager’s management
- Cherry Orchard
- Orchard in The Beeches
- Sunny House, Jones and Foster and Cambridge House
- Farm office
- Packing shed
To apply for this job please visit www.thefold.org.uk.