Growing Communities is a pioneering community-led organisation based in Hackney, providing a real, practical alternative to the current damaging food system – changing what we eat, how we eat and how it's farmed.
Do you want to help create a better food system?
Then come and be an instrumental part of our organisation, growing our business and increasing our impact.
Growing Communities is a pioneering community-led organisation based in Hackney, providing a real, practical alternative to the current damaging food system – changing what we eat, how we eat and how it’s farmed.
We run a successful organic fruit and veg scheme in Hackney and the farmers’ market in Stoke Newington and we grow fruit and veg in Hackney and Dagenham. We help new entrants into farming and food production.
We also consider the bigger picture and work to create wider change: articulating our vision, advocating in support of our aims and replicating our projects.
Growing Communities is looking for a highly organised, energetic and creative Senior Manager to contribute to the overall management of the organisation.
Working within the Management team (made up of the Director and two Senior Managers) responsibilities for the following will be shared out:
- Project areas
- Business/systems functions
- Staff line management
This part-time Senior Manager role will focus on managing our customer-focused work streams:
- Our organic Fruit and Vegetable Scheme currently packs over 1300 bags of fresh, seasonal produce each week, supplied in line with a strict buying policy prioritising direct, local suppliers.
- Our all-organic weekly Farmers’ Market works to support about 25 local small-scale sustainable farmers and producers.
- Our marketing team supports the promotion and growth of our trading systems in line with our principles.
Additionally, the role would (ideally) hold responsibility for the areas of technology, distribution and sales within the organisation.
See the Organisational Chart for an example of how this would likely breakdown.
We are also intending to recruit another part-time Senior Manager over the next six-eight months in preparation for an existing post-holder moving on.
Our intention is to split the responsibilities of each Senior Manager into project areas that best complement each other and as our current priority is finding someone to manage our customer-facing work teams, we are recruiting for this role first.
However, we are also open to a flexible approach, so as part of the application process if you think you’d fit into the team in a slightly different way, we are open to hearing about that too.
- 3 days per week Senior Manager position.
- £33,683 p.a. pro-rata to hours.
- 5% Contributory pension is available.
- 33 days annual leave (pro-rata).
- 30% discount on fruit and veg bags.
Predominantly working from main office based at: The Old Fire Station, 61 Leswin Road, N16 7NX
Please send your CV, completed Recruitment Monitoring Form (below) and cover letter (no more than two pages) addressing which aspects of the person criteria you fit well. Specifically:
- Outline how you meet the ‘Essential’ list within the Person Specification.
- Outline how you meet the items in the ‘Specific work area: technology, distribution and sales’ in the Person Spec.
- Alternatively, if you see yourself fitting the team in a slightly different way to our ideal, you may address some items from the ‘Specific work area: other’ area of the Person Specification.
We will be assessing candidates on how well they meet the person criteria.
THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS
First stage – short phone interview
Second stage – in person panel interview
Third stage – in person panel interview + task/presentation
Closing date for applications: 5pm Tuesday 20 November 2018
First stage phone screening: likely to happen week starting 26 November 2018
Email applications to: Sarah McFadden.
Contact us on 020 7502 7588 if you have any questions about the role or the recruitment process.
To apply for this job please visit www.growingcommunities.org.